5 Factors Delhi Tries to Fix Air Pollution with Artificial Rain
1. Artificial Rain Plan (Fake Rain in Delhi)
- Delhi’s Environment Minister, Gopal Rai, wants to try making fake rain to tackle the pollution problem.
- The government needs permission from the Supreme Court to start a plan where they’ll use a method called cloud seeding to make it rain.
- They talked to experts from IIT Kanpur about this, and they’re waiting for a detailed plan from them.
- If the Supreme Court says yes, they might try this on November 20-21 when it’s expected to be cloudy.
2. Vehicle Rationing Scheme
- There’s a plan to control the number of cars on the road to reduce pollution.
- The government has to show two studies to the Supreme Court before they can start this plan.
- The odd-even scheme means cars with odd-numbered plates can drive on certain days, and even-numbered plates on other days.
- They’re waiting for approval from the Supreme Court to start this.
3. Cloud Seeding Equipment
- The tools needed for making artificial rain are ready, including an airplane and special equipment.
- A person from IIT Kanpur says they’re keeping a close eye on the clouds and are ready to go when the time is right.
4. Supreme Court and Other Measures
- The Delhi government will ask the Supreme Court on Friday if they can try the artificial rain and vehicle rationing plans.
- The Supreme Court is worried about pollution and has suggested quick solutions.
- They questioned how effective the car rationing plan is and want immediate actions to make the air better.
5. Current Air Quality
- Right now, the air in Delhi is really bad, classified as “severe” pollution.
- The Air Quality Index (AQI) went up from 395 to 426 in a day, which means the pollution got worse.
In short, Delhi is trying different things, like making artificial rain and controlling car usage, to fix the pollution problem, especially since the air quality is getting worse. They’re waiting for permission from the Supreme Court to go ahead with these plans.
FAQ’s on Artificial Rain in Delhi
Is there fake rain in Delhi?
No, Delhi doesn't use fake rain much. But some other places in India try making rain using special methods.
What's an example of fake rain?
Imagine if we want more rain, we might put special stuff like silver iodide in clouds. This helps clouds make more rain, and that's called cloud seeding.
Which state did fake rain?
States like Karnataka, Maharashtra, and Andhra Pradesh in India tried making fake rain to get more water.
What's the trick behind fake rain?
The trick is using things like silver iodide in clouds. These things help clouds make more raindrops, and then it rains more.
Does Delhi use cloud seeding?
Not much in Delhi, at least till the last time we checked in 2022. Cloud seeding is usually done in places where there's not enough water.
How do they make fake rain in Delhi?
If they decide to make fake rain in Delhi, they might use cloud seeding. This means they'd release special stuff like silver iodide into the clouds, either from the ground or an airplane. This helps clouds make more rain, and that's how fake rain is created.