Essay on Gardening
Everywhere around us we see and witness Nature in its abundance and glory. Of the many ways in which Nature presents itself to us, trees, flowers, vegetables, tiny plants are some. We have all cherished and been amazed at the beauty of fully bloomed flowers. At some point, all of us have wanted to have a tiny patch of land on which to plant flowers; or just wanted to have a flower pot. We may have marvelled at how some vegetables grow from a tiny seed and wanted to grow some ourselves.
What is Gardening :
We call the practice of planting, growing and cultivating flowers, small plants, and vegetables as gardening. The process of gardening may seem familiar and similar to that of farming but gardening is often done for the purpose of maintaining beauty, decorating a place around a building, a house or some other place. Gardens are often seen as places where one can relax or engage in other fun inducing activities.
While farming is intended to provide food on a large scale, and only those crops are cultivated which can be sold, gardening as an activity in itself is done for pleasure, as a hobby.
The plants grown in gardening may be planted for the sole purpose of their beautiful flowers or leaves only. Some of them may have medicinal properties and can be used in certain treatments. Some people may also grow a variety of vegetables as a part of gardening.
Gardening and its Benefits
Who hasn’t envied a beautiful garden? Who doesn’t want to have a garden where rose bushes and sunflowers grow in abundance, and the grass feels like velvet when one walks on it?
Of course, a beautiful, well-maintained garden can be pleasing to the eye and relaxing to the mind and spirit. But gardening requires an immense amount of work to make it appealing. Taking gardening up as a hobby can prove to be extremely beneficial to a person. Apart from giving back to the Earth and adding to the greenery of a place, we can reap the benefits of gardening by engaging with it often.
Taking up gardening as a hobby or just something that you enjoy doing occasionally can provide a silent space for you to be one with nature. If you live in an urban area where there is not much access to nature, maintaining a tiny garden can prove to be a therapeutic escape in itself.
Benefits of Gardening :
Some of the ways in which gardening can prove to be beneficial are:
- Gardening relieves stress: Taking time off to work in a garden has been proven to lower the levels of stress we might be carrying. Many hospitals, especially those for patients with mental health problems, engage their patients in gardening because of these reasons.
- Helps to stay physically fit: Working in a garden helps provide movement to our bodies. This movement constitutes exercise. Digging, shovelling etc in a garden can strengthen our body. Older people can especially benefit from this, since gardening doesn’t require a lot of strength. Getting some kind of light activity can also help us to sleep better at night.
- Get your Vitamin D: Working in a garden full of sunshine can get you a lot of Vitamin D. This is important to keep our bones and our immunity strong.
- Plenty of flowers (and vegetables to eat): Whether you want a garden full of lovely and fragrant flowers, or one full of delicious vegetables, or both, we can all agree that no one would want to say no to the endless supply of flowers to look at and smell, nor to the nutritious vegetables.
- Attention to beauty: When we engage in gardening, we are required to pay attention to each leaf, each color, each pattern. The attention is not just confined to flowers and other plants but is also extended towards the insects, the bees, and the sounds they make. This activity makes us more attentive to the little details surrounding our garden. The diversity and the details help us communicate with nature, and make us aware of the beauty that surrounds us all the time.
- Gives us a sense of accomplishment: The process of growing a plant or a tree is a rather long one. Often one requires patience with gardening. In that way, one can feel purposeful and accomplished to watch a tiny seed sprout from the soil into a bustling flower bush or a vegetable.
- Build a social group: Gardening can be done in a group, with other people who enjoy it as much as you do. Some places have community gardens where people can volunteer together to maintain a garden. Such activities play a significant role in building social relations in a society.
After all the above mentioned benefits of gardening, it can be fair to say that it is an activity that is healthy and also reaps rewards. Iit is also pleasing to the eye. Everyone likes to look at and enjoy beauty. You can get to choose what to plant in your garden and how to make it your own. It can become an expression of your inner self, and a place where you connect with all your senses. Thereby, gardening is one of the most fulfilling activities one can take part in.
TOPICS for Essay Writing
Essay Topics on Animals
Essay Topics on Relationships
Essay Topics on Famous People and Personalities
- Essay on APJ Abdul Kalam
- Essay on Rabindranath Tagore
- Essay on Mother Teresa
- Essay on Bhagat Singh
- Essay on Freedom Fighters
- Essay on Swami Vivekananda
Essays on General Topics