If you wish to know the Percentage of a Quantity this article is going to help you a lot. Get to know about the step by step procedure for finding a percentage of a quantity. You will learn about What is a Percentage and How to find the Percentage of a Given Number in the coming modules. Have a glance at the solved examples and know the approach used to solve related problems.
What is Percentage?
The Word Percent means Per Hundred. The percentage is a Ratio or Number as a fraction over 100. The percentage is followed by symbol %. It is the result obtained on multiplying a specific number by percent. Percentage of a Quantity is followed by the Phrase “of”.
Ex: 5%, 12%
How to find a Percentage of a Quantity?
Follow the simple and easy steps listed below to get the percentage of a quantity. They are along the lines
- Obtain the number and consider it as n
- Get the Percentage Value from the given data and assume it to be R%
- To find R% of n you just need to multiply R with n and then divide the value by 100 to acquire the Percentage Value.
To help you understand the Percentage of a Quantity and its procedure above we have listed solved examples below.
Solved Examples on Finding the Percentage of a Given Quantity
1. Find the Value of 35% of 200?
We need to find 25% of 200
Phrase Of is nothing but multiplication.
2. What is 12% of 1 Hour?
We need to find 12% of 1 Hour
1 Hour = 60 minutes
= 7.2 minutes
3. Find the number whose 10% is 70?
Let the required number be n
(10*n)/100 = 70
10n = 70*100
n = (70*100)/10
Therefore, 10% of 700 is 70.
4. Find 15% of 400Kg?
15% of 400Kg
Therefore, 15% of 400Kg is 60 Kg.
5. What percent of 90 is 18?
Divide the quantity by the percentage
Multiply with 100
20% of 90 is 18.
Word Problems on Finding the Percentage of a Given Quantity
6. What is the Sum of Money of Which 20% of $500?
Let the sum of money to be found is $m.
20%*m = 500
20/100*m = 500
m = 500*100/20
Therefore, 20% of $2500 is $500.
7. An alloy contains 12 % of copper. What quantity of alloy is required to get 240 g of copper?
Let the quantity of alloy needed = m g
12% of m = 240g
12/100*m = 240
m = (240*100)/12
The quantity of alloy required to get 240g of copper is 2000g.
8. In a basket of guava, 12% of them are spoiled and 60 are in good condition. Find the total number of guava in the basket?
Let us consider the amount of guava to be found as m
12% of them spoiled and 60 are in good condition. From this statement, we can write as follows
88% of m = 60
88/100*m = 60
m = (60*100)/88
m = 68
Therefore, the total number of guava in the basket is 68.