Table of Contents
Welcome to a journey through the fascinating world of chemistry, science enthusiasts and curious minds! In our pursuit of knowledge, we set out to delve into the depths of this intricate science that reveals the secrets of matter and its transformations. You are in for a treat, whether you are a student looking to ace your chemistry exams, a trivia buff looking for interesting facts, or simply someone fascinated by the wonders of the molecular world.
In this blog, we have compiled a list of the Top 50 Chemistry General Knowledge (GK) Questions and Answers to put your knowledge to the test and pique your interest. This collection celebrates the diverse and awe-inspiring facets of chemistry, from the fundamental principles that govern chemical reactions to the discoveries that have shaped our understanding of the elements.
Prepare to delve into the periodic table, decipher the complexities of chemical equations, and put your knowledge to the test on everything from atomic structures to famous chemists who have left their imprint on the scientific landscape.
Whether you are a seasoned chemist or just getting started with molecules and compounds, these questions will pique your interest and broaden your understanding of the fascinating science that is chemistry.
So, let the journey begin! Join us on this intellectual journey as we uncover the secrets of chemistry, one question at a time. Prepare to discover, learn, and possibly be surprised by the wonders of chemistry. Are you willing to take on the challenge? Let us delve into the Top 50 Chemistry GK Questions and Answers to arouse the innate curiosity that we all possess!
50 Chemistry GK Questions and Answers
- What is the chemical symbol for gold?
- Who is known as the father of modern chemistry?
Answer: Antoine Lavoisier
- What is the chemical formula for water?
- Which gas is responsible for the green color of plants?
- What is the atomic number of carbon?
- Name the process by which plants make their food.
- What is the chemical formula for table salt?
- Which element is essential for human bones and teeth?
- What is the common name for acetylsalicylic acid?
- Who discovered penicillin?
Answer: Alexander Fleming
- What is the chemical formula for methane?
- Which gas do plants release during photosynthesis?
- What is the pH of a neutral solution?
- Who proposed the modern atomic theory?
Answer: John Dalton
- What is the lightest element on the periodic table?
- Which gas is responsible for the “rotten egg” smell?
Answer: Hydrogen sulfide (H₂S)
- What is the chemical formula for vinegar?
- Who discovered radium and polonium?
Answer: Marie Curie
- What is the chemical symbol for iron?
- What does the pH scale measure?
Answer: Acidity or alkalinity of a solution
- Which element is found in abundance in Earth’s crust?
- What is the chemical formula for ozone?
- Who developed the periodic table?
Answer: Dmitri Mendeleev
- What is the process of converting a solid directly into a gas called?
- Which gas is responsible for the greenhouse effect?
Answer: Carbon dioxide (CO₂)
- What is the chemical formula for glucose?
- Who is known for the discovery of radioactivity?
Answer: Henri Becquerel
- What is the common name for ethanoic acid?
Answer: Vinegar acid
- What is the chemical symbol for silver?
Also Check: 60 GK Questions with Answers
- Which gas do humans exhale during respiration?
Answer: Carbon dioxide (CO₂)
- Who formulated the laws of chemical combination?
Answer: Joseph Proust
- What is the chemical formula for hydrogen peroxide?
- Which gas is used in the manufacturing of soft drinks?
Answer: Carbon dioxide (CO₂)
- What is the chemical formula for common salt?
- Who discovered the electron?
Answer: J.J. Thomson
- What is the chemical symbol for mercury?
- Which element is essential for the process of blood clotting?
- What is the chemical formula for ammonia?
- Who first proposed the concept of the atom?
- What is the chemical symbol for tin?
- Which gas is known as laughing gas?
Answer: Nitrous oxide (N₂O)
- What is the chemical formula for aspirin?
- Who is known for the discovery of the neutron?
Answer: James Chadwick
- What is the chemical symbol for potassium?
- Which element is present in all organic compounds?
- What is the chemical formula for rust?
- Who formulated the laws of electrolysis?
Answer: Michael Faraday
- What is the chemical symbol for lead?
- Which gas is produced during the decomposition of organic matter in the absence of oxygen?
Answer: Methane (CH₄)
- What is the chemical formula for adrenaline?
Important Topics of Chemistry for competitive exams
Chemistry questions on competitive exams frequently cover a wide range of topics. Here are some major topics that frequently appear as questions in chemistry competitive exams:
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Periodic Table and Periodicity
- Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
- Coordination Compounds
- s-Block, p-Block, and d-Block Elements
- Transition Metals and Lanthanides
- Metallurgy and Extractive Metallurgy
- Organic Chemistry
- Basics of Organic Chemistry
- Hydrocarbons and their Derivatives
- Reaction Mechanisms
- Name Reactions
- Polymers and Biomolecules
- Physical Chemistry
- Chemical Equilibrium
- Chemical Kinetics
- Atomic Structure and Quantum Mechanics
- States of Matter: Gases, Liquids, and Solids
- Analytical Chemistry
- Gravimetric and Volumetric Analysis
- Spectroscopy Techniques
- Chromatography Techniques
- Electroanalytical Techniques
- Environmental Chemistry
- Pollution and its Control
- Green Chemistry
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Structure and Function of Biomolecules
- Enzymes and their Kinetics
- Metabolism and Bioenergetics
- Nuclear Chemistry
- Nuclear Reactions
- Radioactivity and Isotopes
- Industrial Chemistry
- Chemical Industries and Processes
- Petrochemicals and Polymers
- Fertilizers and Agrochemicals
- General Chemistry
- Redox Reactions
- Acids and Bases
- Chemical Thermodynamics
- Current Affairs in Chemistry
- Recent discoveries and advancements in the field of chemistry
- Nobel Prize winners in Chemistry
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why are chemistry GK questions important?
The above Chemistry GK Questions are very important for upcoming competitive exams like SSC, Railway, etc.
How do you improve your science GK knowledge for competitive exams?
The above types of questions are frequently asked in the General Science section of many competitive exams. So, brush up on your science gk knowledge before reading this blog. On this platform, students can easily obtain free General Knowledge Mock Test and Current Affairs Mock Test for online exam practice in order to achieve high marks in competitive exams.
What is the role of chemistry in competitive exams?
Chemistry not only helps in the segregation of general science but also helps in testing the environmental knowledge of the candidate.