Mental health plays a crucial role in maintaining the thinking ability of a person well. With changing times, mental health has become a subject matter of utmost importance. The reason is that people nowadays are suffering more from mental illness than illnesses of other kinds. Mental pressure due to office politics, unemployment, emotional distress, and various reasons in the life of an individual also has a role to play in disquieting peace of mind. People, who suffer from a mental malady are more likely to fall prey to physical ailments as well because if the mind is not right then how are they going to keep themselves physically fit? It is, therefore, necessary for us to keep our mental health in check by keeping our minds fresh and clean of the clutter we are fed with.
Effects of not keeping Mental Health in check
Mental health is crucial for leading a happy life. It shapes our thinking ability by encompassing our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. Thus, to prioritize mental health and have the knowledge of its importance is necessary. Let’s see how:
- Ruins relationships: Relationships are the first ones to rupture when you go mentally out of balance. Your behavior changes, you don’t talk properly, you become a wholly different individual with your perspectives of other people and different situations. A passive-aggressiveness, hostility, and the incapacity to participate in social events make the situation worse. So, do take care of your mental well-being. You would never want to lose your friends and family because of your mental instability.
- Affects physical health: Mental instability can heighten stress levels in the body thus making the entire immune system weak and prone to various diseases. A sick mind can lead to anxiety and depression both of which inhibit the activity of a person, that’s why mental health is so crucial.
- Affects Emotional well-being: The way you feel on the outside is a reflection of how you feel inside. A negative mind can leave you disturbed, irritated, and infuriated. Taking care of your emotional well-being will help you to be more productive and efficient at work. Until and unless you already know about these things how can you address them if you don’t know about them properly? Keeping your mental health in review will curb the effects of such emotional fatalities.
- Suicide cases: These days maximum suicide cases that are reported are those suffering from anxiety and depression. To keep such ailments away and maintain the sanctity of the brain, mental health has to be taken seriously. Mental health can create a catastrophe if not maintained.
- Links with crime and victimization: Several cases can be seen in which minors commit crimes and later describe reasons as depression or a fatal mental health issue. Psychological illnesses can destroy the career of an individual if not addressed. People not only become criminals but also victims of fatal diseases. Mental health plays a crucial role to keep minds healthy, strong, and active. It is only a stable mind that can get out of certain issues.
- Influence on productivity and financial stability: Your mental health can boost your productivity, making you active and financially stable as well. To secure a strong work position, keep your minds happy and healthy.
- Societal problems: It is very much evident from the reports that are published each year that children whose parents are involved in violence and crime are more likely to face abuse, neglect, and behavioral issues. It is not just about the parents, it is also about a child’s life. Such a societal problem adds to the dividing gap that already exists.
- Poor quality of life: What goes in your head is exactly what goes in your life. If the sanctum Santorum of your mind is not maintained, it is very much likely for you to go mad and disturbed in your personal life as well.
How to improve your mental health?
It is already clear now that not keeping mental health in check can lead to a disaster. Here are a few ways by which you can improve and work on your mental health to ensure a stable life.
- Start with a journal: Write at least 3 things that made you happy and 3 things you accomplished, you will be grateful and appreciative of what you have. Appreciation and gratefulness keep you happy, away from the negativities.
- Go for a vacation: Excess of working can accumulate mental pressure. To avoid such situations, plan a getaway with friends, or even if you want to go solo, go ahead. Absorb the surroundings and feel alive in the tranquility of an unknown place.
- Hone your strengths: Focus on your strengths, hone them and then head for a tougher task. This will boost your self-confidence, keeping your worries on the edge.
- Focus on the task at hand: Take one step at a time, don’t head to climb a mountain. Slowly and steadily, move ahead and things will enhance just the way you want them to be.
- Be compassionate: Compassion is the key to self-love and loving others around you. That’s how you can maintain a healthy and happy life.
- Caffeine is ambrosia: Eat dark chocolates, caffeine, flavonoids, and theobromine work together to improve alertness and mental skills.
- Start coloring: Coloring complicated geometrical figures can help you clear your mind.
- Laugh more: We stay happy when we laugh more. Laugh to keep your mind happy. Laughter reduces stress and anxiety.
- Yawn: Yawning cools the brain and improves alertness and mental efficiency.
- Write: If something worries you, write it on a piece of paper. Writing about such bothersome experiences reduces the chances of depression.
- Forgive: To keep something in the head for a long time, can lead to mental problems. Letting go of the grudges will help you lead a satisfying life.
- Meditate: Meditation is the best way to keep yourself cool, calm, and composed. It is the best remedy to keep yourself mentally healthy.
Mental health is something you should never mess up with. Keep it in check, take care of yourself, and be hopeful of the things that didn’t work out your way, maybe something better is awaiting you.
Also read: Influence of Social Media
1. How to stop me from comparing myself with others? It demotivates me but I can’t help it.
Ans: Look at every individual as unique. Nobody is perfect, nobody is imperfect, each one of us is unique. Embrace yourself first.
2. I went for a week-long vacation but couldn’t stop certain thoughts from filling my brain. They drain my energy. How to get rid of such problems?
Ans: Meditate. Meditation will help you to embrace the present and let go of the past.
3. People say to become a writer you need to go through mental compression. Is it true that to feel the most we first should learn to go through the mental pain?
Ans: Not at all! Pain is a part of the process, but that doesn’t mean if you want to become a writer you will have to go through depression, anxiety, and trauma to describe them in words. To feel the most and absorb maximum from the present you should meditate and make things clear in your head by cutting the clutter.