Some teachers’ worst nightmare is when he/she is teaching but the students are not least interested and dozing around in a class. To resolve this teachers & professors came up with various student engagement strategies. These strategies involve methods to keep students interested, motivated, engaged, and active during the ongoing class. Teachers are recently encouraging behavioral, emotional, and cognition stimulating activities to keep students upkeep. In this article, we will try to discuss in brief the various methods to keep students’ interests at par and make education more interesting & indulging.
- One of the most satisfying moments for a teacher in class is when all students are interested and fully engaged in the lecture.
- The moments when they are deeply indulged in the information being taught and they are also putting in their thoughts and ideas into the class cleverly.
- Whatsoever, this type of undisturbed student involvement is hard to achieve. Hence, some methods which can encourage students’ interest & participation are put into use to increase information retention and understanding.
- Teachers dread the time when they look forward into a class full of students and see a bunch of blank faces and empty eyes.
- students sometimes are so distracted that they zone out and their mind starts wandering around.
- a crowd of disinterested students can even make a teacher disinterested in giving lessons.
- Hence, there is a need to create strategies that can keep students engaged through behavioral, emotional, and cognitive engagements.
- One good way to keep students involved is to keep educational goals.
- If students are lazing around and feel sleepy some amendments on teaching goals are necessary to be made.
1) NEED FOR STRATEGIES TO IMPROVE STUDENT INVOLVEMENT.
- To make the class a boredom buster one must involve many methods like enhancing student interaction, making conversation with students, asking questions and answers to promote cognitive thinking and logical reasoning, using friendly behavior for approaching students, using videos and audio clips to make the lecture more interesting.
- Students involved and interested in classes with activities are likely to develop high-quality learning skills.
2) WAYS TO INCREASE STUDENT ENGAGEMENT:
A) Enhance student confidence towards a subject:
students take more interest in subjects which means something to them. Subjects that help them to achieve goals meaningful to them. Pupils who believe in themselves have a higher level of concentration in class.
B) Allow students to learn autonomously and let them interact amongst each other to discuss topics being taught in classes:
- By letting students work independently, one can create a sense of self-achievement within students.
- With free discussion within classmates will come the sense of working in a group. It will also generate healthy competition amongst them.
C) Enhance student-teacher interaction:
- Students perform more enthusiastically when teachers interact more with the class.
- Teachers should have a more friendly approach towards students.
- Asking questions and promoting students to put input will uplift their cognitive abilities.
3) IMPROVING STUDENT INTEREST WITH COGNITIVE ENGAGEMENT.
- Cognition is the mental action & process of collecting knowledge and Comprehending through thought, experience, and general senses.
- Active learning includes the use of cognition, which is attainable by acquiring well-organized knowledge lessons and strategies for learning, understanding, resolving, and managing problems.
- process of elucidation Where new lessons are connected to prior knowledge & remembered in a manner that highlights & elaborated the meaning of learning and educating.
- Teachers and professionals who are interested in introducing this cognitive learning method orient their students to understand and learn the material by activating previous knowledge, dividing information into chunks, and practicing metacognitive awareness.
- By accustoming their students to such cognitive active learning, student engagement will surely reach heights.
4) IMPROVING STUDENT ENGAGEMENT THROUGH BEHAVIORAL and EMOTIONAL ENGAGING METHODS:
- Initiating an emotional connection to Knowledge In the classroom can be a Strong tool for students.
- It increases the retention and engagement amongst the students.
- Involving emotions in education is not a very popular way to teach. But with an increase in the use of this method, one can ensure good student engagement.
- Studying should not be rigid & practical all the time.
- An emotional approach can have a good effect on students and it might emphasize the learning experience.
- How to exactly use emotions to make the learning experience better? It is not as easy as it seems but works for the best. Teachers should trigger the emotional processes by capturing the emotional attention of the students in order to encourage them, motivate them, stimulate them and Inspire them to engage in the lessons and remember the knowledge given to them correctly.
- students are children only and they have their own set of rules and behavior.
- students follow those rules and agendas and they start behaving sometimes associated with persistence, regularity, concentration, attention, and many more.
- They are mostly curious and they can ask questions and give input during discussions and lessons.
Student Engagement Strategies including Behavioral, Emotional, and Cognitive Engagement are essential to be added to the education system as they will broaden the learning horizons for not only students but teachers too. A well-interested class can lead to a better teaching experience for professionals too.
More teacher-to-student interaction along with using ways to include Cognitive learning is the way to go for making classes fun and productive.
1) How to Engage Students through Emotional and Behavioral methods?
Ans: Engaging students through behavioral methods include:
- Do what students are supposed to do in class. They cling to the rules and regulations, and they show actions associated with persistence, concentration, and attention.
- Students ask a lot of questions and put effort during the teachings and discussions.
Engaging students through Emotional Methods involves :
- Cheering students’ attitudes toward Knowledge. Those perceptions can range from as simple as liking what they’re performing to deeply valuing and praising the knowledge and skills students are attaining.
2) What is the importance of increasing student engagement in educational fields?
Ans: Students involved and interested in classes with activities are likely to develop high-quality learning skills which are beneficial to not only the student but the educational institution itself.
One of the most satisfying moments for a teacher in class is when all students are interested and fully engaged in the lecture. The moments when they are deeply indulged in the information being taught and they are also putting in their thoughts and ideas into the class cleverly.
3) How prevalent is this method of Encouraging Behavioral, Emotional, and Cognitive Engagement amongst the educational institutions?
The general idea of Encouraging Behavioral, Emotional, and Cognitive Engagement to increase student engagement is ever-changing. It depends on extra features such as the classroom Environment in a course that promotes the question & interest of the teachers in teaching a particular subject. The action of the professionals and interventions promoted by the institution.
- We can also come up with new ideas Which can give a new perspective to student engagement
- Trial and error is the method to include or conclude methods involved in the same.