The National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) is a prominent public sector organization in India. It plays a crucial role in managing power generation and constructing new thermal power projects. In 2016-2017, NTPC introduced a scholarship called the ‘NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship’ to encourage secondary and higher education in specific regions. This scholarship provides financial support of INR 1500 per month to students from Punjab, Haryana, Jammu, Kashmir, Delhi, Chandigarh, and Himachal Pradesh. It is exclusively available to students belonging to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe, and Physically Challenged categories in these states.
What do you understand about the NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship?
The NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship is designed to support economically disadvantaged students in villages where NTPC projects are located. Its primary goal is to inspire competitiveness and academic excellence among students. The NTPC Foundation administers four distinct scholarship schemes within the NTPC Utkarsh program. To simplify, there are four different scholarships available for students in Classes 10 and 12, those pursuing BE/BTech, ITI courses, and MBBS. These scholarships vary in terms of rewards, eligibility criteria, selection process, and application procedures, all of which will be explained in the following section.
NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship for 10th and 12th Pass Students
This scholarship program offers financial support to deserving students who have passed their 10th and 12th-grade examinations.
For 10th Grade
- From each school, 4 students will be chosen.
- These selected students will receive an annual scholarship of INR 3,000 each.
For 12th Grade
- For each stream (e.g., Science, Commerce, Arts) in every school, 4 students will be selected.
- These students will also be awarded an annual scholarship of INR 3,000 each.
- Students must have passed either their 10th or 12th grade exams.
- There are no specific criteria mentioned beyond grade level.
- Students will be selected based on their performance, with 4 students chosen from each school.
- The scholarship aims to reward academic excellence.
This scholarship program provides valuable financial assistance to students who have excelled in their 10th and 12th-grade studies.
Also Check: Scholarship for 12th Pass Students
NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship for BE/ BTech
This scholarship program, provided by NTPC, supports students pursuing full-time engineering courses. Each NTPC project or station will choose two deserving students from the villages they serve. These selected students will receive an annual scholarship of INR 9,00,000 for four consecutive years. Let’s break down the eligibility and selection criteria for this NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship:
- Be a candidate for a BE (Bachelor of Engineering) program.
- Not be a dependent of NTPC staff members.
- Belong to economically weaker sections in NTPC project or station areas, with a total family income below INR 3,00,000 per year (INR 6,00,000 for SC/ST/PC candidates).
- Be enrolled in a full-time BTech or BE program at an IIIT, IIT, or government engineering college in India.
- Not be employed elsewhere or receiving other scholarships.
- Have a clean criminal record
Candidate selection will be based on specific criteria, including successfully passing the first year on the first attempt, merit-based considerations, and the intention to secure admission for the second year.
NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship for ITIs
NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship for ITIs is a program that supports students pursuing ITI courses. Each year, four students from a project or station area are chosen to receive an annual scholarship of 5000 INR. Below, you’ll find the eligibility and selection criteria for this scholarship:
To qualify for this opportunity, candidates must come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds in villages connected to NTPC projects or stations. Their family’s total annual income should be less than 3,00,000 INR (6,00,000 INR for SC/ST/PC candidates).
Applicants should be currently enrolled in government-affiliated ITI programs located in districts with NTPC projects or stations nearby
Do Check: Score Exam 2023
To qualify as a candidate, you need to come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds in specific villages where NTPC projects or stations are located. Your entire family’s annual income should be less than 3,00,000 INR (or 6,00,000 INR if you are from SC/ST/PC communities).
You must also be enrolled in government-run ITIs (Industrial Training Institutes) situated in districts near NTPC projects or stations.
NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship: MBBS
The NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship for MBBS aims to help aspiring medical students afford the high tuition fees of MBBS programs. This scholarship is specifically designed for students living in areas near NTPC projects or stations. Only two students from each of these target villages will receive a generous scholarship of 9,00,000 INR for the entire four-year MBBS course.
To be eligible for this scholarship, students need to meet certain criteria, and the selection process is competitive. Here’s a simplified version:
The NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship for MBBS assists students in pursuing their dream of becoming doctors despite the high MBBS program costs. It’s available to students residing near NTPC projects or stations. Only two students from each target village will receive a substantial 9,00,000 INR scholarship for their entire four-year MBBS program.
To qualify, applicants must meet specific requirements, and the selection process is highly competitive.
- Not Ward of NTPC Staff: Only individuals who are not children of NTPC staff members are eligible to apply.
- Economically Weaker Section: Candidates must belong to economically disadvantaged families in NTPC project or station areas, with a total family income of less than 3,00,000 INR per year (or 6,00,000 INR for SC/ST/PC applicants).
- Full-Time MBBS Course: Applicants should be enrolled in a full-time MBBS course at a government medical college in India.
- No Other Employment or Scholarships: It’s essential that applicants are not engaged in any form of employment or receiving other scholarships.
- Clear Criminal Record: Applicants must have a clear criminal record.
Candidate selection will be based on specific criteria, including successfully completing the first year on the first try, merit-based considerations, and the intention to secure admission for the second year.
Application Process of NTPC Scholarship
Candidate selection will consider factors such as successfully passing the first year on the first try, merit-based qualifications, and the intent to secure admission for the second year.
Applying for the NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship can be done either physically or online. To make the process clearer, we’ve broken it down into simple steps:
- Go to the NTPC website’s ‘Scholarship Programme’ page.
- Download the application form from the website.
- Print the form.
- Complete all the requirements on the form.
- Attach the necessary documents as specified.
- Send the fully filled application form and documents to the Deputy General Manager (HR-W)
If you prefer to apply in person: Obtain the application form from the head of your academic institution or their authorized representative.
Regardless of whether you apply online or in person, ensure that you’ve filled in all the required information and provided the necessary documents for a successful application.
To apply for this program, you’ll need to include the following items with your application:
- A recent passport-sized photograph.
- A verified copy of your relevant academic transcript, specific to the course you’re pursuing.
- Proof of your residency or domicile.
Number of NTPC Scholarship
The National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) offers Utkarsh Merit Scholarships to students from SC, ST, and PC categories who are pursuing higher education in specific regions of India. These regions include Punjab, Haryana, Jammu and Kashmir, Delhi, Chandigarh, and Himachal Pradesh.
The scholarships are available in varying numbers for each category:
|Number of Scholarship||Categories|
|Physically Challenged Students||05|
In summary, the NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship program by the National Thermal Power Corporation provides financial support to economically disadvantaged students in specific regions of India. It covers various educational levels, including 10th and 12th grades, BE/BTech, ITI, and MBBS courses. The program encourages academic excellence, competitiveness, and inclusivity in education, benefiting deserving students and paving the way for their brighter futures.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ’s)
Who is eligible for NTPC scholarship scheme?
To be eligible for this opportunity, the applicant needs to meet several criteria: Age Limit: The applicant's age should not be more than 40 years. Category: The applicant must belong to the SC/ST and PC category. Domicile: The candidate should be a resident of one of the following regions: Rajasthan, Delhi, J&K, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Chandigarh, or Punjab. Financial Support: The applicant should not be receiving financial assistance from multiple sources.
How to apply for an NTPC scholarship?
To apply for the NTPC Utkarsh Merit Scholarship, follow these simple steps through the official NTPC website: Go to the NTPC website and navigate to the 'Scholarship Programme' page. Download the application form the website. Print out the application form. Complete all the necessities in the form. Attach the required documents as per the guidelines of application
Who is not eligible for a scholarship?
Certain individuals do not qualify for scholarships. This includes students who are enrolled in distance education or pursuing certificate programs or training. Additionally, students who are from a different state but studying in Karnataka are not eligible to apply for scholarships in Karnataka.