NCERT Solutions for Class 4 Mathematics Unit-3 A Trip To Bhopal
NCERT Textbook Page 23
Today Sugandha is very excited. All the children of her school are going on a trip to Bhopal with their teachers. Ms. Meenakshi and Mr. Rakesh are talking about the number of buses needed.
Ms. Meenakshi-We will need 4 buses.
Mr. Rakesh-I think we need at least 5.
Ms. Meenakshi-Each bus has 50 seats.
Mr. Rakesh-Let us see how many children are going.
1 One bus can take 50 children, 4 buses can take 50 x 4________?
2. So, there are a total of________children going.
Ans. 33 + 32 + 42 + 50 + 53 = 210
3. If they get 4 buses, how many children will get seats?
Ans. Total number of seats in 4 buses
= No.of seat in each bus x 4
So, 200 children will get seats.
4. Will there be any children left without seats?
Ans. Children left out without seat
= Total number of children – Total number of seats in buses
= 10 children.
NCERT Textbook Page 24
1. Each mini bus can take 35 students. How many mini buses are needed?
Ans. No. of mini buses needed
Total number of children/No. of seats in each mini bus
NCERT Textbook Page 25
1. If we don’t stop anywhere, we should reach there in 2 hours, that is around . O’clock.
Ans. 11 O’clock.
2.If they go to Bhimbetka, they will reach there
– Before 10 O’clock
– Between 10 O’clock and 11 O’clock
– After 11 O’clock
Ans.Between 10 O’clock and 11 O’clock.
NCERT Textbook Page 26
1. Was Victoria right?
Ans. Cannot say! Moreover, it may be right.
2. Ms. Asha—See, our bus is about 5 metres long. Imagine how many buses can
stand in a line on this bridge.
Ans. Total number of buses can stand in a line on bridge
Length of bridge/Length of one bus
= About 151 buses.
3. Have you ever crossed a long bridge? About how many metres long was it?
Ans. Yes, I crossed a long bridge. It was 756.82 metres long.
4. What is the difference beween the water level of the Narmada in the rainy season and now?________metres.
Ans. Difference between the water level of the Narmada in rainy season and now
= 40-15 metre
= 25 metre.
NCERT Textbook Page 27
1. Each bus takes about 15 minutes to refill and there are two buses to be refilled.
So they stop there for about______minutes, which means they are late by
Ans. They stop there for about
= 15 x 2 minutes
= 30 minutes.
They are late by about 30 minutes.
2. Look at the picture and find the price of 1 litre of diesel
Ans. Price of 1 litre of diesel
Total Rupees paid / Total litres of diesel
= Rs 35
3. How much time did Aman take to come out of the toilet?
Ans. 15 minutes.
NCERT Textbook Page 29
1. How many more deer are there than bisons?
Ans. Number of more deer than bison
= Number of bison – Number of deer
4. How many people must Bonomala have counted? 214/154/134/177
Ans. Total number of animals (deer + bison) = 117+37
Therefore, number of people Bonomala have counted = 177
5. They have spent 1 hour there. What time is it?
Ans. Given, they reach about 11 O’clock at Bhimbetka (as given on NCERT Textbook, page 28)
Therefore, the time =11 O’clock + 1 hour
= 12 O’clock
6. They are now moving towards Bhopal. They should reach there in less than 1 hour, at about______O’clock.
Ans. Given Bhopal is 70 km from their school and Bhimbetka is 50 km from their school.
So, distance of Bhopal from Bhimbetka = 70-50 km = 20 km
So, they started at 12 O’clock from Bhimbetka, so they reach at Bhopal from
Bhimbetka at about 12.40 to 12.50 O’clock. That is around 1 O’clock
NCERT Textbook Page 30
1. Each child is to be given 1 orange, 1 banana and 5 biscuits. All the children take oranges and biscuits but 38 children do not take bananas. How many oranges, biscuits and bananas are distributed?
Ans. Total number of children = 210
Each children get 1 orange, 1 banana and 5 biscuits, but 38 children do not take banana.
Number of oranges distributed
= Number of children x Number of oranges distributed to each children
= 210 x 1
= 210 oranges
Number of biscuits distributed = Number of children x Number of biscuits distributed to each children
= 1050 biscuits
Number of bananas distributed
= Total number of children – Number of children who do not take banana
= 210 – 38
2. Tell me the number which is exactly between 100 and 150.
3. I gave four toffees each to four of my friends and three toffees are left with me. How many toffees did I have?
Ans. Total number of toffees
= Number of friends who get toffees x Number of toffees given + Toffees left
= 16 + 3
= 19 toffees.
4. What numbers can you make using 3, 5 and 7? You can make 357 and 537. What others?
Ans. Other numbers are 375, 573, 735, 753
5. A number becomes double if it is increased by 8. What is the number?
Ans. The number will be 8.
Because 8 + 8 = 16 which is double of 8.
NCERT Textbook Page 31
1. Think of a number which can be divided by 2, 3 and 5 and comes between 25 and 50.
Ans. The required number = 2x3x5 = 30
2. A small ant climbs 3 cm in 1 minute but slips down 2 cm. How much time will it take to climb to 2 cm?
Ans. Distance covered in 1 minute = 3-2 cm = 1 cm Ant climbs 1 cm in 1 minute So, it will take 2 minutes to climb 2 cm.
NCERT Textbook Pages 31-33
Which Boat do We Take?
There are different kinds of boats. Each has a different ticket price, and also different trip times.
1. Indra and Bhanu first went in the motor-boat, and then took the oar boat.
• How much did they pay for both the boats? Rs______
Ans. Total price paid = Ticket price for motor-boat + Ticket price for oar boat
= Rs 25 + Rs 15 = Rs 40
• How much time did they get for both rides?______
Ans. Total time they get for both rides
= Trip time for motor-boat + Trip time for oar boat
= 20 minutes + 45 minutes
= 65 minutes.
2. One group of children went for the double-decker trip. They paid Rs 450 in total.
How many children went for the double-decker trip?_______
Ans. Number of children went for double-decker trip
Total rupees paid / Ticket price = Rs450/30
= 15 children.
3. Which boat makes two trips in 1 hour?
Ans. The boat which has trip time is equal to 1/2 hour.
1/2 hour = 30 minutes.
Paddle boat has 30 minutes trip time. ,
So, paddle boat makes two trips in 1 hour.
4. Which boat takes less than half an hour to complete a trip?
Ans. Motor-boat has trip time equals to 20 minutes. 20 minutes is less than 1/2 an hour or 30 minutes.
So, motor-boat takes less than half an hour to complete a trip.
5. Which boat gives them the most time taking the least money?
Ans. Ticket price for oar boat is Rs 15 and trip time is 45 minutes. This gives them
most time taking the least money.
6. Javed went twice for boating. He paid a total of Rs 40 and boated for 50 minutes.
Which two boats did he take?
Ans. He used paddle and motor-boat.
Total ticket price for paddle and motor-boats = Rs 15 + Rs 25 = Rs 40
Total trip time for paddle and motor-boats
=30 minutes + 20 minutes
Time to Return
1. Children enjoy different boat rides till 4 O’clock. It is time to return. Now, they
will not stop anywhere and reach back in two hours. So, they should reach
Ans. Reaching time = Starting time + Time taken to reach
= 4 O’clock + 2 hours
= 6 O’clock.
NCERT Textbook Page 34
1. Have you ever been on a school trip? How many children were there in all? How did you go and how far? How much time did it take? Try to find out the cost of travel for each child.
Ans. Yes. I had been on a school trip during recent vacation. There were 100 children in all. We went by bus and to 50 km far. It took 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cost of travel for each child costs Rs75.
1. There are four very old cave-paintings. Mark the oldest.
(a) 4200 years old (b) 1000 years old
(c) 8500 years old (d) 1300 years old
Ans. (c) 8500 years old.
2. One bus can carry 48 children. How many children can three buses carry? About (a) 100 (b) 200 (c) 150
Ans. Number of children carried by one bus = 48
Total number of children carried by 3 buses = 48 x 3 = 144
Therefore, answer is (c) that is 150.
3. Which pair of numbers add to make more than 500?
(a) 152 and 241 (b) 321 and 192
(c) 99 and 299 (d) 401 and 91
Ans. (b) 321 + 192 It becomes 513.
4. What happened at what time? Draw the lines to match.