Cleanliness is the most important factor for the development of any country. It is not something to be achieved instantly, but it needs proper planning, making of rules, implementation, and the cooperation of the nation’s people.
The Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi, understood the value of cleanliness. For this, he launched a nationwide cleanliness campaign called Swachh Bharat Abhiyan” on 2nd October, 2014, from Rajpath New Delhi.
He launched this cleanliness campaign to achieve 100% sanitation and Open Defecation free nation by 2nd October 2019, the 150th birth anniversary of great Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation. The Government has left no stone unturned to make this campaign possible, and surely it has succeeded in achieving almost total cleanliness in India.
It was very important for the Government to get the accuracy and detail of the campaign’s success. A nationwide survey was also conducted in 2019 called the “Swachh Survekshan survey.” The Swachh Survekshan survey covered more than 4237 cities across India to measure the campaign’s success. The survey result was quite satisfactory, and a number of cities showed great changes under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. We discuss some of the top-ranking cities in the Swachh Survekshan Survey under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
Cleanest Cities under Swachh Bharat Mission
The Ministry of Urban Development operated Swachh Survekshan Survey was a very well-organized survey that showed some important and notable changes. The details of the Survey are noted under the data of the Government, and we are presenting here some important cities and some of their details for you to provide you some general information. So the list of the cleanest cities is:
1. Indore (Madhya Pradesh)
- The city holds the position of the first rank in the list of cleanest cities in India in Indore. Indore is a populous city of Madhya Pradesh that has shown praiseworthy cooperation of its people. The state government established door to door garbage collection service that has contributed significantly to making the city clean. It has lessened the problem of littering everywhere and has made people use dustbins for garbage.
- Also, many well aware families in Indore carry a dustbin even in their Car while traveling outside so that the road must be left clean. Garbage composting has trended rapidly in Madhya Pradesh, and its effect can be seen in Indore. Even the benefits of cleanliness and the harmfulness of littering and garbage are taught to children in schools. The students should be lead promoters of cleanliness in Madhya Pradesh.
2. Ambikapur (Chhattisgarh)
- Chhattisgarh is a central and important state in India and is especially famous for its Temples, forests, and waterfalls. Ambikapur, named after the Goddess Ambika, is one of the oldest cities in India, Chhattisgarh, and proudly holds second place in the Swachh Survekshan Survey 2019. Ambikapur is the cleanest city in Chhattisgarh and the second cleanest city in India.
- The whole city of Ambikapur is based on the “Solid and Liquid Resources Management Model.” Ambikapur is declared a 100% open-littering-free city. People in Ambikapur, especially women, are employed in Solid and Liquid Resource Management to participate in cleanliness campaigns, provide their assistance, and earn their livelihood. With 100% open dumping-free conditions, the monuments of Ambikapur are now the best places to visit.
3. Mysore (Karnataka)
- Karnataka is an Indian state located in southwest India. Karnataka is a hub for shopping and nightlife. The cultural capital of Karnataka is Mysore which is also well known for its prodigal temples and monuments. Mysore, the great city of palaces, holds the 3rd rank in the list of cleanest cities in India. What has made Mysore achieve a place in the world’s cleanest cities is the door-to-door garbage collection service and the dry and wet waste segregation services.
- Mysore has established many waste segregation plants with modern technologies to make their services efficient and well-functioning. A School level education and training program are also implemented in Mysore to educate the children and teach them the benefits of cleanliness and how to apply it in their lives.
4. Ujjain (Madhya Pradesh)
- Another city in Madhya Pradesh has fixed its place in the list of the top cleanest cities in India. Ujjain is a sacred pilgrim of Hindus situated at the river Kshipra. Ujjain is also one of the four places where the holy and grand Kumbh Mela is celebrated. The campaign of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan has also shown a lot of impact on the city of Ujjain. According to the survey data collected by the agencies, plastic and plastic waste is slowly being eliminated.
- The amount of plastic and polythene in the city’s waste has decreased by 40% percent in 2 years. Even the catering businessmen of the city are also encouraging people to use crockery and paper disposals instead of plastic disposals. But the thing that has changed the most in Ujjain is the habit of people. Now there is no need to ask anyone to promote cleaning activities. People take part in it voluntarily.
5. New Delhi Municipal Corporation (New Delhi)
- The part of New Delhi under the control of the Municipal Corporation is called New Delhi Municipal Corporation and is abbreviated as NDMC. This area is also placed among the top cleanest cities in India under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. NDMC has always been serious about cleanliness, and for it, they have used equipped technologies and strategies to promote cleanliness in this area.
- Door-to-door service has contributed a lot in this area and has also shown the people’s active participation. NDMC has also effectively segregated and used wet and dry wastes. The wet wastes are used for landfilling and composting, while the dry wastes are sent for recycling. Open dumping in this area has also been effectively prevented by installing various underground bins.
6. Ahmadabad (Gujarat)
- If we talk about Gujarat, then Ahmadabad, the biggest city in Gujarat, has seized 6th position in the cleanest cities in India. Ahmadabad is certified as a 100% open defecation-free city. Ahmadabad has created 350+ public and communal toilets in the area. The people in Ahmadabad are very responsible and understand their duty very well. Ahmadabad has secured a reputable position in the cleanliness survey, for which all the credit goes to its citizens.
7. Navi Mumbai (Maharashtra)
- The Western Coast of Maharashtra is called Navi Mumbai. According to the Swachh Survekshan Survey 2019, Navi Mumbai has successfully got a place among the cleanest cities in India. Navi Mumbai has shown an exceptional improvement towards the cleanliness for which the Municipality Corporation admits the mass cooperation of the people in the Clean India Campaign to make it successful.
- All these factors made Navi Mumbai stand in 7th position by national ranking under Swachh Survekshan Survey 2019. Navi Mumbai was in the 9th position in the last Swachh Survekshan Survey. Still, after being 2 steps ahead in the Survey conducted in 2019, the people of Navi Mumbai are feeling some excitement for cleanliness.
8. Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh)
- The Tirupati district of Andhra Pradesh holds the 8th position in the ranking of cleanest cities. Tirupati is an important city in the state and a holy pilgrimage for Hindus. Andhra Pradesh has always performed well in the Swachh Survey before and has succeeded in placing under 10 many times.
- Tirupati is well known for its awareness of cleanliness. The Government of Andhra Pradesh congratulated me for being selected in the top 10. It is said that it becomes possible every year only because of the dedication of the people towards cleanliness, for which it will always be grateful to them.
9. Rajkot (Gujarat)
- After achieving the 6th position in the list by the city of Gujarat, another city of Gujarat named Rajkot has made its position the 9th place. Rajkot has not performed much well in the previous surveys, but in the Swachh Survekshan Survey 2019, Rajkot has shown a tremendous improvement and achieved the 9th position.
- The authority and the Government said that the improvement in ranking has become possible only because of the technologies used in Rajkot. The segregation of dry and wet waste and proper disposal has made Rajkot stand in this position, leaving other major cities behind.
10. Dewas (Madhya Pradesh)
- Madhya Pradesh has proved to be the best-performing state after having its 3rd city to bang its position under the top 10 cleanest cities in India. Dewas district of Madhya Pradesh is popular for government bank note press but this time it has also become famous for getting the 10th rank in Swachh Survekshan Survey 2019.
- Dewas has motivated youngsters to promote cleanliness and the best thing about Dewas is that the youngsters here have actively participated in cleanliness too. Several groups of volunteers have the responsibility to clean the city and their courage brought the crown of glory in the favour of Dewas.
- These were the top 10 cleanest cities under Swachh Survekshan Survey 2019 which set an example for the whole nation to focus their minds on cleanliness. The main reason behind conducting this Survey is for the Government to prompt other cities and states to work for the cleanliness of their own.
- The Swachh Survekshan Survey is operated jointly by the Ministry of Urban Development and the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation. The Swachh Survekshan Survey is an important factor to calculate the percentage of cleanliness in the different parts of the nation. To make our city and state the best in the ranking, we would have to do our best towards cleanliness which will return to us with lots of benefits.