Table of Contents
Our environment is getting deteriorated because of several reasons such as global warming, deforestation and rise in various kinds of pollution. Environment Protection has become a cause of concern.
Environment Protection is essential for the survival of human beings as well as other living beings. It is our duty to do whatever we can to protect our environment to ensure healthy living.
Long and Short Essay on Environment Protection in English
Here are various essays on Environment Protection of varying lengths to help you with the topic in your exam. We have also given different essays on other aspects of Environmental Protection to help you with this vast topic. You can select any Environment Protection Essay according to your need and requirement:
Essay on Environment Protection – Essay 1 (200 Words)
From last several decades we humans have been degrading our mother earth & its resources on the name of development of technology. On the name of increasing our standards of living unknowingly we are on the way of hampering it further. Today we’ve come so far that it is no more a question of better living but it is just about living now.
Nature has an amazing quality of reviving itself against changes made in itself by natural and manmade factors, but there it has a saturation level too and maybe we have already crossed that. We have degraded it beyond repair. We have accounted to enough deforestation to imbalance the required ratio of carbon dioxide; we have impregnated the water resources with hazardous wastes enough that it cannot purify it further on its own. Soil has been degraded until the level it loses its cultivability. Problems are beyond the count and a perfect solution yet to be found.
We have gone too far and it is already too late. If we don’t start working now, we won’t have tomorrow to repent. It is no more a matter of protecting environment, but it’s about protecting us from getting into danger any further. It is the time to make amends with the nature so that it can grant us few more centuries of human existence in our home, Earth.
Essay on Environment Protection and Conservation – Essay 2 (300 Words)
Protecting environment is the moral duty of every human being on this planet, rather it’s not only protecting the environment indirectly it is about protecting ourselves from major loss. How ignorant can we afford to be when it is the question of our survival?
How to Converse Our Environment/Tips for Environment Conservation
So here are some of the things which we can do to conserve our environment:
- If you are painting your house, use latex paint, as oil-based paints release hydrocarbon fumes.
- Instead of using your personal vehicle, go for bike or public transport. Vehicle traffic is a major contributor to noise pollution and also to smog.
- Try to use less fertilizer or use organic fertilizers instead because when it rains, fertilizers drain into streams along with rain water.
- Don’t trash the streams instead do volunteering with other groups in cleaning them on regular basis.
- While using washing machines, try to load it full or adjust the water level according to the load. Washing machines use almost 40 gallons of water.
- Use bucket for washing cars or other vehicles, instead of hose. Because the water running from hose while you are working wastes a lot of water.
- Set the sprinkler in the lawn instead of watering it as that will be helpful in saving water.
- Close the tap while brushing, washing or bathing when it is not in use. 5 gallons of water goes to drain every minute the water runs from faucet.
- Try to conserve energy by switching off the lights, fans and other electrical appliances when not in use. This will also help in reducing your bill to a much greater extent.
- If you have mercury thermometer, replace it with the digital one. Mercury is a major pollutant and is non-degradable which moves up to the food chain and causes serious health issues.
- Thinking about taking a paper bag or plastic from shop? Better yet, take your own canvas bag to the grocery shop and reuse it each time you go for shopping.
These small things can go a long way in saving and protecting the environment.
Essay on Need and Importance of Environmental Protection – Essay 3 (400 Words)
Environment is degrading which means the chances for survival of living organisms on earth is decreasing. But there is still some stubborn mentality in some people that the environment is degrading naturally, so it will also recover or be back to normal naturally. This is a very wrong notion. If we don’t start protecting our environment now, then there is a huge possibility that we won’t be able to save our humanity in future.
To consider this problem seriously, let’s think about the possibilities which will arise due to environmental degradation.
- Firstly, let’s imagine a life without clean air. Polluted air contains dust particles and other harmful particles, which maybe in solid or gaseous form. Haze, a combination of dust particle, smoke and other harmful gases, will occur. This will obscure the vision which will lead to accidents of vehicles, and in worst cases, deaths.
- Due to high level of CO2and CFC, ozone layer will go on depleting, or there will come a time when it might extinct. In this case, harmful UV rays will enter the earth’s atmosphere and can cause skin cancer and other harmful diseases.
- Carbon monoxide is also a very lethal pollutant. If it enters the human body, it mixes with haemoglobin and makes the circulation of oxygen through blood difficult, which will make us feel dizzy. If the amount of CO consumption through air is more, then this might even lead to death.
- Due to increase of acids in air and other harmful gases, frequency of acid rain will increase. Acid rains are harmful for every living organism, from microbes to giant animals. It can cause many diseases as well as death. It can make the harmful elements enter the ecosystem through soil and water.
- Soil having water of acid rain will degrade in its quality. This type of soil won’t possess the required mineral content and water holding capacity which will lead to decrease in the production of crops, or their quality. If the production or quality of crops decreases, then this will directly affect the humans which will lack the energy to perform because of lack of nutrient supply. This can stop the progress of the whole civilization.
- If the acid rain or CO2enters the water bodies in excess quantity, then it will affect the marine life also which will eventually affect the whole ecosystem.
Even after understanding the need and importance of protecting the environment and saving the planet if we don’t do our bit towards the same then it will be a big mistake on our part. We should take it as our responsibility to create awareness regarding this and do whatever we can to save the environment.
Essay on Importance of Protecting the Environment – Essay 4 (500 Words)
Good Environment is a pre-requisite for the survival of life on Earth. There are visible signs that it is getting degraded. Still, there are no visible changes in our lifestyles to stop the condition getting worse then what it is now. Things that are doing harm to the environment such as working in industries or factories, commuting via fuel-driven vehicles, using air conditioners, etc have become an essential part of our lives. The amount of energy that we are using is essential and there is no other alternative to it. Mentioned below is a reality check of how we are being the major contributors in environmental degradation despite being fully aware about the importance of protecting the environment:
- Over Population: Many parts of our planet are being over populated by human population. Over population means more demands and less supply. This creates an imbalance and disturbs the ecosystem as for human survival, the shelter of birds and animals are getting destroyed. This also increases the fossil fuel consumption and the harmful impacts of it on the environment.
- Pollution: Increased population leads to increased waste to make the supplies reach the required rate. This wastes level leads to air and water pollution. The condition of pollution is so bad that to date, 2.4 billion people do not have access to clean, drinkable water. Humanity is constantly polluting the irreplaceable resources like air, water and soil, which takes millions of years to replenish. Not only air, water and soil pollution, humanity is also responsible for noise, radiation and light pollution.
- Global Warming: The major cause for this is the increased level of CO2, and that is because of the increased rate of burning of fossil fuels. Current measurements of CO2levels have exceeded above 400 ppm breaking every record dating back 400,000 years. And this has lead to increase in earth’s temperature, which leads to melting of glaciers and increase in ocean level to rise.
- Non-Veg Diet: Human’s digestive tract is a long one like that of herbivores. But still most of the human population relies on non-vegetarian diet. To grow a hen of 1 kilo, many kilos of wheat is required, but 1 kilo of wheat can satisfy the hunger of 2 persons. Hence, this non-veg diet is really expensive to the environment.
- Deforestation: Deforestation is required for creating land space for making roads and homes for humans. This leads to destruction of the habitat of wild animals and birds. It also leads to constant increase of level of COSince there are no trees to absorb this gas so it remains in the atmosphere leading to global warming.
- Excess Usage of Useless Commodities: For the sake of vanity, we use commodities such as leather shoes, belts and jackets which are made from the skin of animals without thinking about the impact it has on the animals. Animals suffer because of this while we adorn such decorative items made from their nails and tusks.
So, we know how humans are the ones responsible for destroying the environment and killing the humanity. It’s time to acknowledge and understand the importance of protecting our environment and work in that direction.
Essay on Pollution, Environment and Environment Protection Act – Essay 5 (600 Words)
Environment is the surrounding in which the living creatures live and interact. Everything that is needed by an organism to survive is provided by the environment. It includes physical, chemical and natural forces, which are required for the survival of the living beings. Environment has been serving mankind since the beginning of the time, and continues to do so. But since the last few decades, nature is suffering at the hands of mankind, and payback for this has already begun. Recent researches have proved that if this imbalance caused is not made right the reckoning will come. This doom can only be avoided with staunch and effective measures taken for its revival as soon as possible.
Pollution and Environment
Our entire human existence is dependent on the nature itself. We depend on the nature for a tiny pin to the most complex man made constructions. Environment has come to our aid in every way possible. Ayurveda, a practice of medicine since ancient India which is completely dependent on natural herbs, is facing crises due to depletion of various species of plants. Species of various animals and plants have become extinct or on the verge of extinction due to unnecessary interruption in the ecosystem by the humans.
Ozone layer which prevents ultraviolet rays from sun to enter our atmosphere is getting depleted due to the increase in harmful gases causing pollution in the environment. Because of the increasing demands of the increasing human population, the pollution is increasing. Man started polluting the environment since the first fire was produced. From then to now, man has been polluting the environment in the name of development. Due to cumulative effect of ozone depletion and greenhouse effect the temperature on earth is rising continuously resulting in global warming.
As a result of which glaciers at the poles are melting and contributing to rise in the sea level, many major cities inhabited by humans are predicted to submerge in water in next few decades. Post effects of this environmental degradation are beyond our imagination, need of the hour is to preserve our environment in the best way possible, not only because it is our moral duty to do that, but because it’s our only to way to survive from the harm.
Due to exponential growth of population along with industrialization, the quality of environment is degrading. There is a crucial need for conservation and preservation of the environment.
Environment Protection Act, 1986
Environmental Protection Act is an act passed by the Parliament of India in 1986 in an attempt to protect and conserve the environment. This was enacted by the government after the Bhopal Gas Tragedy. It was a gas leak incident in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, in December 1984. It was considered as the world’s worst industrial disaster as the official immediate death toll was 2,259 and over 500,000 people were exposed to Methyl Isocyanate (MIC) gas. The purpose of establishing this act was to make people implement the decisions of the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment. It was for the protection and improvement of the environment and the prevention of environmental hazards.
Environment Protection acts have been put in place to stop people from damaging environment in the race of becoming better than others. Individuals just think about themselves. These acts are a way to make them realize that we are standing at the verge of environmental degradation. However, all these efforts will go in vain until the individuals consider saving the environment as their very own responsibility. We all have to come together, individually, to save our planet by saving our environment.